If someone told me that it’d be acceptable for me to eat crumble for breakfast, I’d laugh. But what if I told you that you actually could?! Traditionally made with a lot of butter and sugar, crumble doesn’t seem like the most sensible breakfast choice, but by making a few tweaks and removing the added sugar, it becomes a nutritious breakfast that feels deliciously indulgent.
Crumble with mixed berries and Greek yogurt, what could be better on a summer’s morning?!
While I’d be willing to say that my favourite breakfast in the world ever is a huge bowl of porridge (in fact never mind breakfast, I’d eat it for every meal if I could!) some days I want something more refreshing and summery while still getting my oat fix (okay, so I sound like an addict…).
If you’re like me and want a different, lighter way to eat your oats for breakfast (or lunch.. or dinner..), this will be perfect for you. With the sweetness from the berries, the salty nutty crumble topping makes for a delicious breakfast.
FRUITY BREAKFAST CRUMBLE
SERVINGS: 1 TIME: 20 MINS INC. PREP
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp nut butter (I used almond, but PB is delicious too!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Splash of milk *
- Handful frozen mixed berries*
- 1-2 tbsp Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%, but use whatever you prefer!)*
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, 350°F).
- Put your fruit into an oven-proof dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oats, nut butter, vanilla and milk. You don’t want to soak the oats with the milk, just add enough (roughly 1 tbsp) to help the oats start to bind together to make a slightly clumpy, crumbly texture.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture over the fruit, I like to have variation in depth so that there are different textures from the oats.
- Bake the crumble for roughly 15 minutes, or until the oats start to go golden and crunchy on top.
- Serve hot with a generous dollop of the Greek yogurt.
* If you want to make it vegan, use plant milk and yogurt. I have also made this dish with stewed apple and cinnamon, which is just as delicious! For one serving, chop a medium apple into chunks, sprinkle with cinnamon and add a tbsp water, microwave until slightly soft and mash with a fork. Then, simply follow the recipe from step 3!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Let me know what you think if you make it!