My overriding memory of fishcakes is my Dad making them for us as a treat, they were absolutely delicious, but they were fiddly, used so many ingredients and seemed to take all day to make. Craving the taste of home comforts the other day, I decided to revisit my childhood favourite and put my own twist on it. (Dad approved!)
2 INGREDIENT TUNA FISHCAKES
SERVES: 2 TIME: 10 minutes inc. prep and cooking
- 1 tin of tuna (I prefer the ones in spring water)
- 1 egg*
- Drain the tuna until there is no more liquid coming out of the tin.
- Place into a bowl, add the egg and stir until fully combined.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Split the tuna mixture into 4 and use your hands to shape into patties.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, or until nice and brown on top.
- Serve hot, I love mine with salad and balsamic dressing or with delicious sweet potato mash.
*These can be made egg free, I swapped the egg for oatmeal that I made into flour using a food processor, no exact amount, just add until the mixture starts to combine nicely. To really help it bind, add some sort of sauce, I tried it with BBQ sauce and it was delicious!
*This is the basic recipe that I love for a quick easy lunch, if you want to make something more fancy, simply add more filling into the tuna mix, I love spring onions and capers, but go wild!
I hope you enjoy them just as much as I did!